I went to this concert 2 years ago when I was out here as an intern, and I loved it. There's nothing better when you're in DC than doing something patriotic, just because it seems like that's what you should do. So I've been raving about it to Jon for 2 years, and we finally remembered to go!! (We always plan on doing things and then forget to do them before the event's over).This concert is played on the grounds of the Iwo Jima monument, with the Washington and the Capitol in the background. They play taps, the Star Spangled Banner, and a bunch of other things I don't remember. But the best part is "Silent Drill Routine," which is when the Silent Platoon does their routine swinging their guns with bayonets and slamming them against everything (that makes it sound a lot less interesting than it really is, and probably a lot less safe too, but they're super impressive). Jon was just as impressed as I was, it was a fun after-work activity, and Jon packed dinner in a cooler that we went and ate on a picnic table afterwards. We made it just in time—it was their last Iwo Jima concert of the summer!
No comments:
Post a Comment