5/14/09

it's offical—i'm going to have to work out

stgeorge1

26.2 miles. In just 4.5 months.

Nothing like a lofty goal and its accompanying fear of chronic injuries from lack of preparation to motivate one to get in shape again. And so the training begins. My dad and I just found out Monday night that we made it into the St. George Marathon! I have appointed Jon and Van as my personal cheerleaders, my dad as my accompanying runner the day of, I got the new shoes for Christmas, and now I have no excuse.

2 weeks ago I ran for the first time since I was oh, 4 months pregnant, max, and I was pretty sure that I was going to collapse on the spot and leave Van rolling down the trail alone in the stroller. Granted it was noon, and 92 degrees, deathly humid, and I was pushing a baby. But my muscles were aching before I ever made it to the trail, I had sideaches, I was slow, I couldn't breathe or even see straight, and I felt like a horse. An old one. I realized I've never been so out of shape my entire life. Ever. It was a depressing thought for someone who was once a cross country runner—not to mention a competitive flip-flop speed-walker to, from, and on the metro pre-Van-birth (2 miles a day!). Someone biking by asked me if I was okay and told me to stay hydrated, and then I realized I must look pretty rockin' too. I almost laughed out loud at the thought of me running a marathon until I thought that might not feed my dwindling confidence to do so. Game face, baby, game face.

Jon made me get out again and he ran with me a few days later, and I'm happy to report it was MUCH better. I've been out a few times after that and while I'm sure it will take a lot of work, I can do it. I'll survive. Even if that's all I do. :) But with marathons, a survival is as good as gold.

stgeorge2

4 comments:

Rachel said...

Yay for you!

I laughed when I read what you wrote about how you felt running for the first time after pregnancy - I've been starting up again lately and I can totally relate! You'll feel great again soon though! You're awesome!

Jessica said...

I've often said that my baby stole my chi. I haven't had any endurance since I had him. Truly, I don't think I'll ever be the same. Good luck to you!

Waldo said...

Congratulations? I have a friend running a marathon tomorrow and it sort of makes me think maybe I could do a marathon, then I remember that I still haven't run more than seven miles at one time. It is great to have a goal. I don't have anything that I am working towards at the moment and so my running has taken a hit. Well, actually, we are doing a 5k next month, just haven't hit the panic stage yet. And I feel like you explained pretty much every time I run. No baby, just getting old...

Camille and Paul said...

Good for you! I just started a 6 week death challenge and on the first day I threw up! I know exactly how you feel!! I am sure you will be back in no time!