6/19/08

Pregnancy update!

I'm 20 weeks pregnant! That translates to mean half way through, and I'm sooooo excited. I'm always getting questions about how I'm feeling, etc., so I thought I'd put up a little post to fill everyone in.

I feel incredibly blessed (and almost guilty) that I haven't had one day of being sick/nauseated to the point of throwing up. Ever. I find that a rare miracle, and I'm so grateful, since I think it would have made starting a new job 2 weeks previous to getting pregnant a real trial. I finally told my coworkers last week, and that was a HUGE relief. The girls were so excited for me, and the men will just find out through office heresay soon enough. :) It's so nice to have my big "secret" out in the open though. Telling them the rest of the story (that I want to stay home with my baby) will come when they ask about it, which they haven't. I'm not going to lie, I'm a little nervous about their reactions, but I'm sure saying it will be the worst part, and then it will be over, and another big relief.

We found a doctors' office we love, after being totally turned off by another doctor we tried first. So we're relieved about that and are excited that I'll be having the baby at a hospital in VA that we've heard really good things about.

I'm finally starting to feel and look pregnant. I've got 'the bump', and while it's still totally weird to me, I love it. I can't get over the fact that there's a little person inside of me that is already perfectly formed, is trying out its facial expressions, and can respond to sound by covering its ears with its hands. It's SO fascinating to me. I've been able to start feeling it move, and that is seriously my favorite thing. It's so fun! I can't stop smiling when I can feel my baby, and then, again, I can't believe I'm having a baby. It's starting to become a little more real, and that's so fun to me, and to Jon. He gets just as excited as I do, and he always wants me to send the weekly update I get from babycenter.com. I love how involved he is, it makes it so fun. He's going to be the greatest dad, I can't wait to see him in action. :)

I'm posting pictures of the first hint of the prego bump, probably taken at 18 weeks (but just wait until we post photos from Monticello last weekend, it's at least doubled since then, I swear), and of Jon's Father's Day card I made to celebrate his first dad day.

As for the gender, we've had to wait the longest amount of time you could have to wait to find out what we're having (supposedly you can know between 16-20 weeks, so we should definitely get an award for holding out), but the good news is we find out on MONDAY! If the baby cooperates, that is. Our bet is on a boy, but we would be ecstatic either way.

What do you all think it will be?
Comment and guess before Monday!

10 comments:

Rachel said...

I want to vote girl just to have a differing opinion, but have have to vote boy. I've already (frequently) referred to the little Smith as a "he".

Kristen said...

I'm excited to hear what you are having, and I kept looking at your pictures thinking "when is she going to look pregnant?" Funny sidenote, we're going to Monticello in a couple of weeks. I guess we secretly want to be like you guys, only we aren't quite as good at photography. Oh, and if the people at your work are anything like mine were here, they will think it's great that you get to stay home. Good Luck.

Laura & Tyson said...

I'm guessing a boy...I swear everyone in our ward has been having boys and it's probably in the water. Tyson keeps telling me not to drink it =0)
I'm soo excited for you guys!

Generational stitcher said...

Don't worry, you'll just keep growing in leaps and bounds from now on :) It's so fun, especially with the first one when you aren't as distracted. Korde says girl...she also claims she's always right...which her track record is pretty good. I'm always wrong, I think John's parents need some more grand daughters though. It's a baby and will be fun regardless :)

andrea said...

i'm guessing a boy. congrats to making it though halfway! so exciting!!!

Rachel said...

Hey Melissa! I'm so excited for you! I'm pregnant too, so it's fun to keep up with all my friends who are pregnant - it seems like the whole world is pregnant right now! :)

I love reading your blog!

Rachel (Wiggins) Hatch
rchch.wordpress.com

Chelsea said...

I'm telling you, a girl is the way to go...so fun to dress and make cute (not that we ever really get to do that with our rebellious Isabel who rips out any hair things within 5 minutes, but the idea is cute!) So I'm voting girl! You are lucky to not have ever thrown up...I was also lucky that way, but I hear the nausea can get worse with subsequent children...so I'm hoping whenever #2 happens I'm just as lucky again! Can't wait to find out on Monday!

Jenna Marie said...

I (Jenna Corry) :) am guessing a boy. I was the same way and never threw up (except once because of the flu, and another because of food poisoning). Yuck. So just because of the sickness factor- my guess is boy. P.S. Great job on the cake by the way!! :)

Jenna Marie said...

oh- and another P.S. I found that you met my friend Lacey (and her husband Sean) at a BBQ or something. I've been friends with Lacey since 2nd grade. Seriously small world.

M said...

Boy!!! I can't wait for the news! And awesome cake, Melissa. I am super impressed.