9/2/09

exotic animals + free = nat'l zoo {6.8.09}

Our fun friends (and Van's favorite babysitters) the Morrises offered to take Van and I on a zoo outing, and I'm never one to turn down the zoo! I'd been with Van on a couple previous zoo trips, once to the National Zoo and once to the zoo in Phoenix, but this was the first time he seemed to notice that there were actually things that were alive and moving on the other side of the fence. So we had a lot of fun watching his little curious mind at work, trying to figure out what the moving furballs were and why he couldn't touch them. He was so great, as always when we head outdoors. He especially liked the misters (mist machines...is that how you spell mist-er? That's not referring to Mr.?) that keep zoo-goers cool in the summer, and I loved the hairdo it gave him.

Thanks Ash & Nate for taking us and spending all day with us! (a lot of these photos were taken by Ashlee since photo taking + baby carrying is a bad combo. Nice work Ash!)

IMG_8214

I love how excited he looks here. As a side note...when did my hair get SO dark???
IMG_8223

IMG_8234

IMG_8246

Ashlee & Van checking out the sea lions below
IMG_8261

Nate & Van coming through a mister
IMG_8263


el elefante
IMG_8269

post-mist-machine hair
IMG_8253

Van clearly doesn't love to be strapped in. Or use things the way they should be used. He's standing on my legs for a better view, and trying to escape as always.
IMG_8233

These turtles remind me of Lincoln in days past, his days of little turtle innocence. Before he was a big mean turtle. I keep joking to Jon that we need to donate him to the zoo to join his friends or throw him in the river, but my ideas aren't flying too well.
IMG_8258

6 comments:

Allison and Noah Riley said...

I love these pictures, and I sure love that Nate and Ash :). Fun trip!

Jessica said...

Sweet. Love the updates. Love the photos. Love everything. Love it.

Jaci said...

i need to check your blog more often! I feel like I go on an adventure every time I see your pics! Love the way you document such fun times!
thanks for your sweet comment. You are seriously so nice. I can see how you, Allison, and Kami are the best of friends. You are all such sweethearts.
I actually feel like I might be hitting a rut with my pics, so thank you for boosting my confidence. ;)
I got the Nikkor 35 mm 1.8 and I love the way it lets in light! Yay for my sweet husband for giving me an early b-day present! :)
You have a fabulous day and give your little man a snuggle for me! He is adorable!

Justin and Lindsey Neumann said...

Is there anything better than a FREE Zoo?!! Looks like you guys had a blast. We need to get together again soon.

Bri and Britt said...

Okay, First of all, Van is so little in these pics! He has grown so much in such a short time. You MUST finish updateing.
And again, thanks so much for EVERYTHING. We had a BLAST!

Our Paper Plates said...

I can't believe you came to AZ and didn't tell me! What a cute family you have! I love the pictures. I've always admired your creativity and writing abilities! Keep up the great work on your blog :) I like checking in from time to time...