11/15/08

Van in Black and White

I wanted to practice taking photos on both white and black backgrounds and this is a small number of our results. The black background was a shiny, striped table cloth that we have which was kind of hard to get rid of, if anyone has suggestions on a better background I'd love to hear your suggestions (hint, hint, Kalli), these were taken after dark. The white shots were taken in the baby's room with light from the overcast day, from the small window that the room has. We just set him on a white, fuzzy blanket. I welcome any photographers' suggestions on how to make shots of this style better. I was mostly experimenting with the camera's contrast, sharpness and monochrome settings as well as adjusting the light meter.






11 comments:

Lincoln and Alisia said...

Holy cow. These look so professional. You are seriously so talented!

M said...

Your photos are amazing. All of them. And I absolutely adore little Van. He is so cute.

Dave and Alisha said...

I love the one with his hands behind his head. It looks like he is just chillin watching TV.

andrea said...

he is such a beautiful baby!!! congrats!

Unknown said...

These look great!

Kristin said...

Congratulations you guys! I love checking your blog-- you have such an adorable new baby!

kallina said...

Awesome! Those pictures are so cute. way to go improvizing with the table cloth. I like the stripes, it looks cool! Yeah I ususally just use a fuzzy dark blanket, if it's fuzzy it doesn't reflect light as much. I'm not sure how Cannons work, but I've noticed that I get better results when I take a photo on all the basic settings (color, contrast, etc) and then change it to B/W in Photoshop. Hope that helps!
We're excited to see you guys in a few months!

Ashlee said...

Mel! Van is absolutely adorable and the pics are amazing. Keep posting. I love the updates. We'll come visit soon!
Ashlee and Nate

The Adventures of Jakers said...

Missa- I've got a christmas card for you... can you email me your address? hermanasearle@yahoo.com

Camille and Paul said...

Congratulations Melissa and Jon! He is so cute! I am glad to hear that everything went so well with his arrival and being able to spend time with your Mom. Did you end up being able to go natural? I would imagine you did since you were only in the hospital for 2.5 hours before he arrived! I am sure you two are making wonderful parents, and you look fabulous! Did you have a baby in there or what!?!
Love, Camille

Sarah Marie said...

SO cute!! You guys take great pictures!