10/27/11

gus-to: (noun). enjoyment or vigor in doing something; zest; a relish or liking

gusto1

As I jumped on the computer last night to go through some photos, I could hear Van in the next room over singing "Happy birthday to me, happy birthday to me!" at the top of his lungs. It's almost 11:30pm, he's singing in the dark, Lila's chanting "mooooommy, daaaaaddy" alongside him, long after they should both be asleep, and all after no less than 3 trips to go to the bathroom since we said goodnight over 2 hours ago. And I could not keep myself from smiling.

Part of me has to keep reminding him to be patient because he still has a week until it's actually his birthday. But part of me secretly loves him even more for how excited he is about it. Because it's so Van. One hundred percent excited about everything like it's the. greatest. thing. ever.

Which is why he can't wait for his birthday, and thinks every day must be the day. "Mom I don't want to be two, I just want to be three!" And he can't wait for Halloween, and thinks any time he dons his costume, candy should magically appear. "I put on my costume and now I get candy, Mom!" And after a recent FHE lesson on baptism, he now can't wait to be baptized and thinks it must happen when he turns three. "And when I'm three on my birthday I get to splash in the water and be baptized! And it will be great!" Luckily we've got a few years to work on the whole 'splash in the water' thing.

Granted, strong excited emotions are accompanied by strong upset emotions from this kid, but the guy's got gusto. And even at 11:30 at night, gusto makes me smile.

gusto2

We may or may not be getting nervous that all that gusto's starting to rub off on the younger crowd, but wow. They wear it well.
gusto-16

gusto5

Similarities, anyone?
gusto3
gusto4

5 comments:

Elise said...

Oh man, they're seriously adorable. Yeah, I catch Jayne doing similar stuff at 11:30 at night as well. They're so funny at this age. We need to get the two of them together...there would be gusto spewing :)

Unknown said...

What a fun post! I can hear your voice as I read it. Makes me miss you and your kiddos! Not sure, but I think they may get some of that gusto from you and Jon ;)

Mr. Smith said...

Ahhh so cute! Your kids are adorable. Love the Van quotes, they made me smile.

kallina said...

oops that was me, but Joel loved the post too :).

Jaci said...

oh my heck!~ it's been way too long since I clicked on your blog! You guys have the cutest kids on the planet! Darling!!!