About six weeks ago, when we were on the verge of making serious changes to move forward with Operation Full-Time Photography, one statement of concern and frustration led to an entire evening of discussion and a DTR with photography. There were tears, we laughed at ourselves, and we went home that night having decided to make a clean break. We broke up. There were thousands of reasons for this and believe me, we went over ALL our options. We needed to be able to focus on what is most important to us in life, and for whatever reason, photography was keeping us from those things.
We finally finished tying up all the loose ends just a couple days ago, ending with getting photos out for the beautiful wedding of a beautiful couple and leaving me feeling all warm and fuzzy about our experience with photography.
Since we decided to quit it's been strange and a little surreal, like it's all just been a wild dream. Strange because it was only 10 months but we feel like we've aged a decade. Strange because we loved it—and invested SO MUCH of ourselves into it—and left it. Strange because when we started the business we only saw two possible outcomes: it flops and we chalk it up to our 'life experiences' pile, or it flies and we move forward to make it a full-time job. Never did we foresee the third option: it's miraculously successful and we quit. Strange because I think we'll always miss it and be a little sad to not have it be such a big part of our lives anymore (we joke that we'll always be recovering professional photography addicts). Strange because I feel like there's so much more that went into this decision than I could ever say. It's so personal to us and so contingent upon our personal needs as a family that it doesn't even make sense when our reasoning comes out of our mouths trying to explain it to someone else. Especially because for some families, going forward with their big idea is completely right and what their family needs. We had to make the choice for what our family needs, and let everything else go.
It's been just as crazy of a year as we'd expected it to be, but we feel really good about it.
We threw ourselves into it one hundred percent, and even if it did mean a lot of sleep deprivation, late dinners, ridiculously large dirty dish pile-ups for days and laundry bins overflowing for weeks, we wouldn't undo anything we've done. We learned so much about photography and business, so much about our camera and extra equipment, so much about people and their real beauty, and so much about our limits, our priorities, and ourselves. That said, we will welcome the change to live life more wholeheartedly at home again and not spread ourselves so thin to so many people and responsibilities.
One thing's for sure, Jon and I are happy to focus more fully our two little crazies. We'll still be taking lots of photos, they'll just be at home of our family again, which is what we got our camera for in the first place. Maybe we'll even blog the photos (gasp!). No promises, but either way, I've got a feeling 2011's gonna be a breath of fresh air for the Smith family.
(the photos are a very small taste of catching up. They're long overdue since according to our blog photos Lila is 3 weeks old. She's actually 5 months...not a bad case of the second child syndrome, just a child born to parents with a crazy side business.)














11 comments:
it sounds like you made the best decision for you and that is all you can do. so happy for you and can't wait to hear about what great things come into your life now that you have time for it :)
You always have to do what feels best for you and your family. No need to worry about wasted talent, just capturing your beautiful family is a wonderful use of your newly acquired talent! I love your photography!!! I also love that you always stay true to your heart and what you feel is best!
so happy for you guys. doing whats best for the family, always is.. well.. the best!!
i'm very sad though, i hoped to have you guys take some photos of us if you were every in utah or if we ever came back to dc. your work is just amazing & i will miss all your pretty pics!... but can't wait to see more of your darling kids!
Already knowing about "the big breakup", this was not much of a surprise to me, but still so very sad :( you guys are soo awesome at photography. Loved our pictures with a passion!! And your children are SOSOSOSO cute, I realized I have not even met Lila yet! This is madness. You guys need to come over for dinner or something very soon. We miss you guys!!
Adam and I are so sad to hear the news but are excited for you to have your life back and not have everything be so crazy! We are still so grateful for the photos you took of us at the Jefferson Memorial and of Eli when he was a newborn. We will always cherish them. You two are very talented and we wish you the best!
your daughter is gorgeous. i want to eat her up!
When we were visiting your parents back in October, your mom was telling me how absolutely overwhelmed you were with a new baby and your photography biz. You and Jon are amazing with your skills and creativity, but I'm happy that you'll be able to focus more on what's most important. Your kids are only little once. I'm looking forward to hearing more about your kiddos and seeing their adorable faces!!!
I'm happy for you! I can only imagine how difficult it was to juggle the biz and the small children and Jon's job and church callings. We don't have a side biz, but sometimes after a long day of doing what we do I look over at my husband and say, "Hello there. I remember you. I've seen you helping me with the boys and felt you at my side lots of times, but I don't think I've even looked at your face today."
By the way, I hope you got our card. It was sent back to us even though the address was accurate. So I re-sent it. We got yours and it was lovely.
While I'm sad you're not taking pics anymore (for selfish reasons of course) I totally understand it. My blog(s) have been suffering from serious neglect as of late and I only have one kid so far so I can imagine how much time and effort goes into two!
I was devastated in college when two of my best friends broke up with each other. It was like I was part of the breakup.
I feel the same way about this breakup.
-Michael
P.S. One of my friends moved on smoothly. The other (2.5 years later) is still kind of a wreck. Something tells me that in your case it's the photo business that will be the bitter ex.
You kids are just darling!
My sister and her hubby just did the same thing...families and photography sound like they go well together...not so much!
Post a Comment