8/11/10

the new babe {fashionably late}


lila gwynn smith

{pronounced "lie-luh" not "lee-luh" or "lil-uh", and "gwin" not "gwen"} :)

holding12

July 27, 2010
4:28 am
7 lbs 15 oz
20.5 in


We've clearly been behind on posting, but with not much time to catch up, we'll just skip the last three months and get right to the important part.

Our little girl arrived 6 days late, and after literally having tried EVERYTHING to get her out sooner (walking, running, jumping, eating spicy food, walking half-on half-off curbs, hiking up huge hills, bouncing on an exercise ball, going up and down stairs, and yes, anything else you're thinking of), we are absolutely convinced that none of it works. The baby will come when the baby wants to come, and your body will spit it out when it wants to spit it out. Take it from us. If those things have worked for other people, I'm pretty sure it's because they were about to go into labor anyway and they falsely attributed their success to the last thing they were doing. Totally not a believer. But we're so happy she finally came and that everything happened all on its own!

The best news of the day was that I opted for an epidural this time, which was every bit as awful to receive as I'd imagined, but as soon as it was in place, I was loving life. We talked. We slept. We laughed. I could LAUGH. I totally enjoyed it and couldn't believe how nice it was to not be hyperventilating and worrying about how I would survive a head coming out of my body. No need to suffer willingly twice! We got to the hospital at 11:30pm, and our little lady was born by 4:30am. It was awesome. She was a perfect, purple, squishy, screamy, newborn. We're suddenly a family of four, Van's a big brother, and we've got our hands full. But it's so much fun, even when we feel totally crazy. :)

The hospital day in photos...

hospital2

hospital12

hospital13

hospital4

Fresh out of the oven.
hospital15

hospital5

Obviously a daddy's little girl from day one. Her face clearly says "see mom? I can get whatever I want from him!"
hospital16

hospital8

hospital3

Flowers from my lover.
hospital6

hospital17

Van's so sweet to her, it's the cutest thing to watch. He wants to kiss her on the head and hold her all the time (even though that only lasts about 5 seconds, we're sure it's safer that way).
hospital_van

IMG_6909

hospital10

Those beauties on the right are one of my token symptoms of the last month of pregnancy. And it took a big nasty week after delivery to get them down to normal size. They're super painful, don't fit anything, and I can't believe I don't have foot/ankle/cankle stretch marks to show for it. Four weeks of hugeness. Even my toes were getting rolls. oh. my. gosh. I couldn't BELIEVE how little my feet were when I finally welcomed them back last week. It was a beautiful day. Jon's so proud of me for posting this photo online, I'm so embarrassed by them. And I hate feet. But the little girl on the left, I like her lots.
hospital7

Going home outfit. We had to put a bow on her head to remember she was a girl, or we kept calling her "dude" or "buddy" out of habit with our little man. We're sure she'll grow out of the "I-could-be-a-boy-or-girl" phase and into her girly self soon enough. :)
hospital11

Waiting for Jon to roll up in the getaway car just over 24 hours after birth. We were on the accelerated leave-the-hospital plan since my mom would be in the airport flying away 48 hours after birth. That's what happens when babies hang out in the womb almost a week longer than expected.
hospital9

First almost-family pic, sans Van.
hospital18

I love her eyes in this photo! Headed home!
hospital1

17 comments:

The Bills Clan said...

I am glad you finally posted. I have had non relatives even ask me when you were going to post pictures! Glad you finally had her, and that things are now going right. She is exactly 7 months younger than Logan. Just thought that was funny. yeah to your family of four!

Artsy Aut said...

She is a doll! Congrats you guys. Cant wait to see more pics of your cute little family!

Andrea Hatch said...

Okay, num 1. Congratulations!!!! Lila is beautiful and I can't believe she came so late!!! Ahh!!! 2. I can't believe your poor feet. I've been having one ankle swell up, but it doesn't hold a candle to what you went through!! 3. Beautiful pictures, I wish you guys were around to capture our hospital stay

Erica said...

she is just DARLING! so tiny & so perfect. congrats! congrats! & your photos are amazing. what a beautiful way to document such a big event. congrats!

Lindsay said...

So glad to see more pictures finally! It's not like you've been busy or anything. ;) She's a cutie and I hope everything is going well. And who wouldn't know how to pronounce her names???? Morons.

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

I love her! She is beautiful...and you all make a wonderfully beautiful family! I love the name Lila...want to name one of my own that actually! Thanks for finally posting photos! ;)

Our family said...

Congrats! She is SO darling! We are so happy for you guys! Girls are super fun!

Kari said...

I'm glad to see a post about her! I've actually contemplated that name for a future girl ever since I watched August Rush, but I envisioned it Lyla. I guess that's because I think that's how she spelled it in the movie. Anyway, cute pictures!

Kristen said...

Hurray! I have been waiting to see and read the details. She is so beautiful! I really love everything about this post...amazing pictures!

Brooke said...

she is ADORABLE. Love the name. Love the pics. Can't believe she was six days late. Good luck!

Tracy and Odie said...

stop it! those photos are AMAZING. oh, i love your growing family. how cute, cute, cute!!!

elyse said...

So cute! What wonderful pictures!! I've been waiting for this post and am glad that you were able to get it up there. She's beautiful and I can't wait to meet her. Congratulations!!

Allison and Noah Riley said...

Ahh! She is so perfect! Welcome to the world, little Lila Gwynne. I can't wait to meet you!

Kristin said...

She is beautiful! I'm glad you had a good epidural experience (at least after actually getting it). You are a sweet little family! Congratulations!

JillEE said...

I'm jealous of the beautiful pictures, but not your poor feet. Good job documenting that for posterity.

Lila is so gorgeous and looks like the perfect addition to your happy family.

Lolly Soulier said...

Precious pictures and an adorable baby. We're thrilled for you guys! Congrats!

Jaci said...

Aren't you a lucky duck to have a husband to take great photos of the hospital stay? I LOVE these. Perfect for such a special memory. Congrats again you guys!! Lila Gwynn is a babe!