2/11/10

whiteout in washington

We're sure you've heard. Or you're here going through it like we are. But to make a large understatement, we have been seriously dumped on with the white stuff lately.

Dec. 19 was a rockin' 2-footer snow storm. Unheard of for DC. We're used to 2-4 inches once a year that melts off in limited subsequent days. All the same, December's storm came, it went, and life moved on just in time for a perfect White Christmas.

But starting last Friday night (Feb. 5), we got a blown-up version of a Dec. 19th repeat. Not only did we get somewhere around 2 feet again (apparently breaking a 100+ year record for the area in total season snowfall), canceling school, church, work and life in general for days, but by the time Tuesday rolled around the skies were at it again, landing us with another 10 inches or so. It's up to our hips. No kidding. Jon's on a freebie holiday tomorrow for the 4th day in a row. (Rock on, snow days!) Our car hasn't moved since last Thursday (despite Jon's diligent shoveling and cleaning off his car—just in case we should decide to brave it). The mail has come once. Church has been canceled for 2 weeks in a row and we just got word that Stake Conference originally scheduled for this weekend has been postponed by Elder Packer until March. Besides the neighbor kids outside going nuts with their sweet sled hill they built and the overly-confident SUV drivers, no one's left their own street (at least in our neighborhood, because residential areas are never plowed. Ever. Chalk it up to lack of snowplows, but seriously. Oh how Utah would laugh). It's hilarious, awesome, crazy, and giving us all a healthy dose of cabin fever. Jon is in heaven. I'm in heaven because he's home, but I wouldn't mind soaking in some July heat rays about now. :) But I can't lie...it's pretty fun.

Good news is we're finally checking some things off of our never-ending to do list. Bad news is we're running dangerously low on TP (anyone nearby got a spare?). Should things get desperate around here, we'll spare you the details. But in the meantime, we thought we'd finally get some pics up here to show our families a hint of our snowy state (and how cute our kid is surrounded by snow taller than he is).

We're curious to see if the speculation of more snow on Monday proves to be true. If the forecast is strong for snow, you better bet we'll be making a store run the second roads are clear enough this weekend, and you can guess what will be the first thing on our list!

Taken on Saturday night, the first night after the snow stopped and we dared take our camera out.
IMG_8933

snow_2

IMG_8930

this is the path leading out from our apartment, and photo number 2 is our dining room window. Basement, remember? Submerged in snow. The bottom of our window is at least 6 inches above the ground, and it still looks like this. And I thought we lived in a cave before...
snow_1

IMG_8927

IMG_8946

day 2 venturing out.
the man's reaction. what a babe.

IMG_8960

he LOVES dogs. and it looks like they love him back.
IMG_8966

oooo, pretty snow!
IMG_9006

snow_portrait1

snow_4

snow_5

snow_portrait3

snow_6

oh how I love this photo...doesn't it look like they're sharing some inside joke or something? not the clearest photo,
but i had to include it.

snow_portrait2

IMG_9123

IMG_9120

IMG_9080

IMG_9146

IMG_9100

IMG_9321

yeah, that's a car.
IMG_9148

IMG_9283

a little spontaneous light painting, but we made the cars and traffic lights do the work for us this time. :)
IMG_9310

IMG_9304

IMG_9305

IMG_9318

Van-angels. jon may or may not have dropped the kid in a time or three to see what he would do. I may or may not have begged him to stop for fear the poor little guy was getting cold snow all over his face and neck. i'm a mom. it's my job to beg for no nonsense even when said nonsense is really funny and cute. :)
IMG_9334

looks like he survived!
IMG_9343

day 3 venturing out.
hot.

IMG_9211

it's official. he's a snow-eater. he digs his mittens straight in, pulls them straight out and starts licking. with very little coordination due to awkward snow layers. it's darling.
snow_7

IMG_9278

sliding off of one of the many mounds surrounding our path out to civilization. van LOVES slides, and therefore he loves sliding on snow as well. even in jeans since he has no snow pants. welcome to dc in the snow.

snow_8

i'll eat him up i love him so.
snow_portrait4

the official shoveler in the family. needless to say we're grateful for his love of snow and his large muscles.
snow_9

IMG_9633
IMG_9624

IMG_9623

We hope you all have a safe weekend with no toilet paper rationing in your homes! :) We'll be here all week.

12 comments:

Tracy and Odie said...

this snow is CRAZY! but luckily tab's baby is here and giving me plenty of entertainment.

how is your family so cute?

Laura & Tyson said...

I LOVE all of your guys' pictures! Van is getting so big and is absolutely adorable. Tyson keeps saying how he wishes we were back there in the snow. Let's just say I'm glad we're in St. George hee hee. Plus even if we were back there, I would have to work from home anyways so no snow days for me!

Ty, Steph, Bris, Big T said...

Your white out pictures are better than those on the news here...I'm glad for the update. I was thinking about you guys last night as I was watching the weather forecast for over there. Ya know...I could mail you some TP...but if the mail man can't make it....man, that's a dilemma. Good luck with that one!

Michele said...

Seriously! And it's sunny and blue skies over here, when it should be snowing. I'm glad you're having fun together though- your family is so super cute, I LOVE love the snow angels!

Michelle said...

You have the cutest family EVER! Your little boy is so handsome! Can you believe all this snow?? It's insane (for back east at least)! I think you guys got a bit more than we did in PA. Hope you're staying warm, although I'm sure you're not having a problem with that as you have a little something cooking in your oven. :) Congratulations by the way!!! Yay for babies!!

Kari said...

that pic with the dog is so cute. some people are anti dogs and babies, but if you read beck's blog, you know i am not one of them. :)

Lex said...

It's 60 degrees in AZ right now COME SEE US PLEEAZE!!!! Also Van is so stinkin' cute I have the urge to pinch his cheeks! Miss you

Jessica said...

Yes, I've been wondering how you guys were fairing over there on the other side of the continent. I've thought of you every time the news talks about the crazy snow coming down in DC. I'm glad Jon is getting some time off and that Van gets to eat and play in the snow! I guess what I've learned from this post is that I need to buy more toilet paper for our year supply/food storage.

kallina said...

So dang jealous!

Kristin said...

I know you always hear this, but your photography is AMAZING! Good job Melissa! And it probably helps that all three of you are so cute and photogenic that it makes the pictures even better. I'm glad you are surviving the crazy snow storms- even if do have to use up food storage. :)

The Adventures of Jakers said...

I'm sure that amount of snow gets a little annoying....but it sure is beautiful!

jsmithcreations said...

Seriously, I miss this. We have nothin' here. Enjoy it!