
As you may or may not have noticed, we've been experiencing somewhat of a blogging famine. All sorts of things have been missed. The holidays (starting with the 4th of July...), birthdays (mine and Van's), small trips, haircuts, projects, and a baby who suddenly carries the title of toddler and all that comes with it––walking and running, signing with his little chubby hands, talking his heart out in his best alien language, throwing killer tantrums, and giving the greatest hugs. And I don't even have some rockin' side hobby like sewing or crafting to use as an excuse for not having documented it all nice and orderly here.
It makes me feel a lot better when I see other blogs that have also not updated for months, leading me to believe we're not the only ones that have got tied up in living life and unfortunately bailed (hopefully a temporary state) on recording it.
But my feeling of being behind in life doesn't begin and end here at the blog.
The usuals:
- blogging to catch up since July :(
- cards to send out (July-August birthdays) and cards to make & send (every birthday after that)
- emails to respond to
- phone calls to make to catch up with friends
- thank you notes to write
- things to do for our calling at church
- laundry (I'll let it pile up for much longer than I should, then when I finally get it washed and dried, I'll let it sit in baskets for a week until I sit down to fold it . You should have SEEN the pile on our bed just days ago that took over an hour to tackle)
- dishes (for some reason when I get behind in the whole loading/unloading the dishwasher process it makes me feel eerily like a college student all over again)
- books we're both dying to read that are getting covered at the rate of one chapter a week
- design jobs for friends and family that have been on the FRONT burner for months, and still haven't fully made it out the door
- we haven't had anyone over in much too long...and we miss it
- there are always more photos to upload, more tiny edits to make, more CD's to burn and get off to their rightful owners, and more life goals to dream up and someday fulfill
Not to say we're dismal or covered by a black cloud here in the Smith home, because we LOVE life! We are loving where we're at and exciting thoughts of where we could be in the future, we're loving being married now as much as we did the day we sealed the deal, and more than anything, we're bursting at the seams with the happiness our little man brings us. We know we're blessed, and we're so grateful for that. I just wish we had more time to share all that with others, and do so in a more timely manner. It would be nice to feel "on top of things"––even the thought of it hints at a huge release of weight from the back of my mind.
I recently spoke separately with my mom and my mother-in-law about this always-behind-phenomena, and they seemed to both be able to relate, giving me the feeling that this might be a recurring theme for life. As long as we're not the only two crazies out there, then I can probably handle that. But please let me know if you've found any miracle working techniques that have potential to help one be on top of things.
So.
Know that we have the largest backlog of photos you've probably ever seen in your life, all waiting to come front and center to our little blog. And please know that I really do want to call you, email you, send you that thank you note, and come visit you. And we really do want to invite you over. And just so our parents know, we really do DREAM about going to bed on time and we would feel as though we had arrived at heaven itself were we to ever make a habit of it.
But we haven't become resigned to the backlogging life, after all, this is a new decade, which means big things could happen. We've opted for simplifying our goals for this beautiful new year of 2010, and if simplifying goals has the unintended result of simplifying life, then that would be big indeed.
Just ask Van. He would totally agree.

13 comments:
He is giant!
Holy cow! He is so big now! Just look at those teeth!!!
Wow!!! I can't believe he is already one! What a cute little boy!! Don't worry about not blogging much. There are always other things to do and so little time during the day to do everything. I wish you the best!
behind is how I always feel.... it's the story of living life. Stuff is never done. :)
Melissa...glad to see that you are back! Doesn't mean that my blogging is updated :0 However, what helps me is to wake up EVERY morning and write on a white board all the things that I must do that day, and then things that I want to do that day. It is the most rewarding feeling to erase things from the white board during the day. I love it!
P.S. Van is getting so big and is extremely handsome. Maybe he and Bristol can hook up in 16 years or so? J/k....wait....haha. Can't think about all that. Anyway, glad to see ya!
Love,
Steph
Van looks so old. He's no longer a baby that's for sure!! Time for number 2:) I totally sympathize with the feeling of always being behind. Unfortunately I have no idea how to solve the problem.... Never sleep I guess.
Melissa! I totally feel the same way. I literally have a pile of laundry of shirts and pants sitting there waiting to be hung in the closets from two laundry 'cycles' I've done recently which were like 3 loads apiece.
And as you know we haven't updated our blog in about 2 months...and I'm pregnant so we have things to blog about. AND I work from home with generally a lot of free-time and still no blog posts. I need to work on that. I thought that maybe I'll just not allow myself to check the google reader until I make a post, so I can't read other people's blogs until I work on mine...but that didn't work (as you can see). heh. Let me know if you find any good advice out there because I too need it!
Oh, and hopefully there will be a post on our blog this weekend...but don't hold your breath :0) We wish that we could hang out with you guys again!
Hmm...well if it makes it any better or would help you I'm almost always available to babysit for you so that you CAN get that long list of things to do checked off! Even if it's just for a little while, I'm sure it would help for you! Call me, email me, or text me whenever!
yeah, I'm glad you haven't given up blogging. I figured the blogging fad was already coming to an end, especially since Mr. and Mrs. Smith hadn't blogged in over a month. I'm glad to see it still lives on for now. I love seeing the pictures of everyone's family that I haven't seen in a while. So bring on the pictures!
Van is a like a little kid now, that's crazy. Good to hear from you again. Joel
Love the pics of Van. He is getting so big!! I just printed out all the B/W pics from our photo shoot and put them in our window panel-- that I have been meaning to do in forever. Thank you again so much. And yes we miss you so much and would love to see you guys soon. But how about we invite you guys to our house... just let us know when you are free!
Who is that kid on this post? Oh, is that Van...what the? He is a little man now! Yeah, I am pretty horrible at keeping up on all the things on your list (as I sit here on the internet while there is a pile of dishes in the sink, ugh) including blogging. The only thing that keeps me going is that I am way behind on journal writing too, so if I can do my blog every couple of months, then I've at least done something. I've been printing it into a book so I at least have something to show for it. Don't feel bad though, we do love to see what your up to, but obviously blogging doesn't have to be your top priority :) And hey, I just barely saw your comments on my blog. I would love to send that light template to you...just e-mail me so I can send it (I don't have your address) efraz53@yahoo.com
i'm right there with ya... more than you know! :)
Welcome back! I thought certainly that couldn't be Van...and then I realized it was! It is amazing how big they get when you aren't seeing picture updates every few weeks or so! :) Don't worry about being behind...I am just glad you are back so I can see/hear from your cute family.
Post a Comment