We also love music, love events, and love getting out and taking advantage of everything there is to do in this area. All summer long in DC there are outdoor jazz ensemble concerts every Friday at the Smithsonian Sculpture Garden, where everyone crowds around a big ugly duck water fountain, wades like the signs say they shouldn't, and act like they're listening to music when they're really looking for an excuse to socialize. So fun. We'd both been separately pre-marriage, but never together. That's pretty lame since this was a our 3rd married summer, so we finally decided to just go for a date night, but bring Van along because we like him. :)
Upon arriving there we quickly realized it was not quite how we remembered it, and it had become more like an open happy hour for all the young DC professionals. There were families here and there as well, but for the most part people we packed blanket to blanket, person to person, covering the grass on every possible inch, putting out their vibe, and drinking. Not exactly what we'd pictured as a Van-would-love-this evening. So instead joining the ranks and taking a seat, we decided to people watch. And we stumbled upon this happy brightly clad, happy couple.

Nope. Don't know 'em. But we sure wanted to after watching them for about a minute straight. So we met them. Chatted. Laughed. Their whole reason for coming was to be people watched. Love it. And the funniest part is that on our way to the sculpture garden, we'd passed a parked Mini Cooper that was covered in question marks and we'd commented on it, wondering who would do that. Jon saw the suit before I did, to which he instantly commented, "Well now we know whose car that was." I asked him how he knew, and all he had to do was point. This joker guy just likes to make people laugh...or be perplexed. He'll take either.
I mean check out his expressions! He was asking to be people-watched. He was awesome, we couldn't get over his outfit, or his wife's, and the way she matched with the sculpture behind her...way to rock that orange and turquoise, lady!

After getting our people-watching fill, we headed to a nearby deli/soup/sandwich place to get some food. We ate outside to enjoy the weather, and after Jon finished eating I asked if he could finish feeding Van so that I could eat. He said he'd love to and just minutes after he'd started spoon-feeding Van, we noticed that WE were being people watched. There was a lady in her 50's or 60's who could hardly contain herself, and finally she jumped up out of her seat and had to come over and comment.
(picture it with her awesome black DC accent and it's even better).
"You know, I just think it is so SEXY when a man will take care of the children like that. That is just mmm, sexy. I think it is just so sexy to see the man feeding a child, caring for a child, mmm, I just ha' to say. SO dead sexy. "(no seriously, she said "sexy" EVERY sentence.)
She continued to compliment him for being such a fine, sexy father, remind us of how we're blessed to have children because not everyone gets that blessing, even when they want it, and after Jon graciously accepted her compliments, she went and sat back down. Quietly we laughed and wondered if she would still think that if she had realized that moments before I had asked Jon to feed Van for me. Our alone time only lasted about 3 minutes before she was back, right next to us, telling my husband again how sexy he was being at that moment. She also ate Van and all his baby cute-ness right up, and then slipped Van a 5 dollar bill to "give to your daddy for his first Father's Day gift."
Yet another reason to take Van with us on our date nights. He brings in the money.
After the woman left, I had to take some photos of Jon to catch him in all his sexy father moment glory.


Glad this sexy dad is mine. :)

Glad this guy's mine too.
5 comments:
Hi, I'm Julie B's sister...that guy in the ? suit is from infomercials! He's the guy that tells you how to find lost/recovered money and how to apply for government grants. I recognized him while I was lurking your page and had to say something.
i love people watching too...one of my fave things to do on a late saturday afternoon :)
that couple is da bomb! love the colors, they are crazy cool haha
That's hilarious. I've never thought of being "People Watched"! What an idea! Tyson and I also love people watching. We went to Vegas last weekend and got a lot of it done :0)
Great stories, you are the cutest family and we love to read about your DC adventures!
Haa thats hillarious!! sounds like a crazy fun evening!
Post a Comment